Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Real Costs of Travel Vaccinations (Brace Yourself)

Today is my last visit to the Hall Health Travel Clinic at UW for my final three travel shots. Woo-hoo!

My initial visit to the clinic included a wonderfully comprehensive consultation with a nurse practitioner, who answered all of my health-related travel questions and helped me decide which vaccinations to get. She also showed me the costs of each vaccination, which nearly made my eyeballs fall out of my head.

A representative from my insurance company had assured me over the phone that a number of the vaccinations would be covered, but I still held my breath every time an "explanation of benefits" letter showed up in the mail.

Luckily, the news was always good. Thank goodness for insurance! (I'm on my mom's plan.)

Check out the breakdown of costs without and with insurance:


First of all, none of my visits required a co-pay, so it seems like the $20 I'm responsible for is just a co-pay for my initial visit.

Second of all, HOLY HELL! Vaccinations are expensive. I am so, so lucky and thankful to have insurance that covers so many of them.

I feel the same way about my travel prescriptions, although the numbers aren't quite as dramatic:


I did a lot of frustrating back-and-forth with my pharmacy and insurance company to get my prescriptions filled — especially the malaria pills — but it was worth it in the end to get the full supplies and save $224. Whew.


THE SAFETY NET

I'm not posting all of these numbers to brag about what great insurance I have, but to show what a difference insurance has made in my pre-travel health costs.

The first thing I did when I decided to quit my job was ask my mom if I could hop onto her insurance plan. She checked and found that since my quitting was a "qualifying event" and I'm under 26, she could add me to her plan at no additional cost.

That is really what allowed me to quit my job at the end of November. If I hadn't been able to join my mom's plan, I would have stayed employed while preparing to travel. I would have been miserable for these past two months, but at least I wouldn't pay those huge out-of-pocket costs for travel vaccinations and prescriptions.

Then again, I like to play it safe. If you've prepared to travel without health insurance, I'd love to hear about how you did it!

###

New here?
###

12 comments:

  1. Those are definitely important expenses and not something you want to risk (especially with all of the different places you are headed).

    You will probably never know how this investment helped, but better safe then sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy S$%#@! That's really no joke.

    On Caleb's note: does it make any sense to get these vaccinations even if you don't have solid plans to travel but might be losing your insurance? I'm leaving my job (although I might COBRA), and I definitely don't want to pay these out of pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would check on the vaccinations you think you may need (depending on where you'd like to travel) and see how long they're effective. One series of Hepatitis A/B shots is good for life, for example, so you could get it now and not have to worry about it again. Check out http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel for comprehensive info. Also call your insurance company and see which shots it covers from an in-network provider — might as well get those while you can!

      Delete
  3. No joke - when I was in the hospital last year (6 days at what basically equated to the most expensive hotel I've ever stayed in) the bill was $50,000 (yes, the decimal place is in the right spot - FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!). Of that, I paid $200. Insurance saved me!

    That being said, I think as Americans we undervalue what we pay for our health. I got the best medical care from doctors who caught the infection I had early enough to save me from a long stay in the ICU (not to mention the 30% fatality rate), and yet I still had a bit of heartache coughing up the $200. I'd happily pay that for a pair of jeans - that realization led to a serious reality check for myself.

    Anyhow, safe travels Devon! Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Steph, that's insane! I didn't know you went through that. Glad you're OK and that your insurance came through! See you in a few days : )

      Delete
  4. I'm 28, and this is one of the key factors for me in the whole plan. I need to get myself to the travel clinic sooner than later so I'm not highly dependent on health insurance. :-\ Especially after seeing those costs! (I should probably come up with an itinerary first, huh?)

    Anyway, thanks for your transparency through all of this. I've been lurking for a while, and it is sooooo helpful to read someone else's experience, knowing I'm going to be going through it as well in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for de-lurking! : ) You should definitely do all the health-related stuff sooner rather than later, particularly the vaccinations. I finished up my last round of shots yesterday — nearly a full month after my first round. It was crucial to have that month as a cushion. And yes, the vaccinations also forced me into nailing down an itinerary. I guess something had to, sooner or later!

      Best of luck with your travel planning!

      Delete
  5. I have an appointment at a travel clinic next Friday (for extended travel in South and Central America beginning in May). I called my insurance to see if they would cover any of it; the lady on the other end of the line said plainly, "Nope." UGH... Depressing!

    After seeing this post, I'm very afraid to get that bill. Kind of makes me want to quit my job earlier so I can get back on my parents (better) plan sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh nooo! Is the clinic considered an in-network provider by your insurance? I would've gotten hit hard if I had gone to an out-of-network clinic, but I triple-checked with both the clinic and my insurance company first. The lady didn't offer any suggestions/alternatives for you?

      I hope you make it through without too big of a bill. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I found it much cheaper and often quite convenient to pick up medications on the road particularly things that are typical of the place your visiting. e.g. anti-fungal stuff in hot, sweaty locations. It's certainly advisable to go with a good stash in your medicine bag, but you can buy pretty much anything you need for 5% of the cost on the road.

    Hope you're getting excited,
    Clare :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice! As I'm rounding out my packing list, I'll remember that so I don't bring the whole medicine cabinet.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...